Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Internet killed the radio (and video) star

The Internet. In my humble opinion, this is easily the greatest invention ever. Never mind the fact that I can get everything I need in less than 3 seconds, I love the fact that I am now able to find out about bands I otherwise would never have heard about. True, there are those few bands I have found because of concerts my favorite bands have played (I'm looking at you All Time Low, The Years Gone By and The Morning Light). The Internet also boasts an impressive number of sites which allow users to find out about music in milliseconds. Here are just a couple I've used and am quite addicted to.

Pandora Radio: Pandora is part of the Music Genome Project, "the most sophisticated taxonomy of musical information ever collected," according to its web site. Basically, users create "stations" based on bands and songs they enter into the search box and Pandora customizes the stations base on the user's musical preferences and the qualities shared by the music the user likes and music the user may like.

Last.fm: Another radio service, Last.fm calls itself "the social music revolution". While similar to Pandora in that Last.fm allows users to listen to artist on their site and find similar artists, as well as make stations, it differs in that you can also download Last.fm to your computer and import the music on your computer to it and make stations and recommendations from the music you already have.

Purevolume: Back in the day (meaning when I was a freshman in high school), my friends and I swore by mp3.com, to find new music and listen to it. Purevolume is kind of like mp3.com's little brother, but cooler. The site hosts tons of different artists and genres and has charts which rate which bands/artists are most popular for a given time period. It allows you to search for particular bands/artists or just browse the charts for genres from pop to alternative to Christian.

There are tons of sites you can access to find new music, but these are just the three I've been using lately and love. Plus, there's always MySpace for new music.

No comments: