Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ska is not dead

I was talking to a friend of mine last night about music and he mentioned the band The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, which happens to be one of my top 10 favorite bands. Anyway, in talking about that I starting thinking about ska music in general. It's hard to find ska bands anymore, just because so many people have moved away from the genre, but there are still a couple bands plugging away with all eleven-hundred members. (Just kidding, but ska bands, because of the horn sections, tend to have at least 6 members.)

So for your edification here are a few of my personal favorite ska bands.

Big D and the Kids Table: Warped Tour veterans, who after 12 plus years of being a band, are still sticking to the DIY ethic they've had since the beginning. Last winter the went out on their first large-scale headlining tour.

The Toasters: Often credited as "America's longest active ska band", these guys have been pluggin away since 1981. I only recently got into this band, but am glad that I did.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones: Easily the most recognizable name from the ska genre. They kind of led the ska explosion in the late 90s. I'm sure you all have heard their song The Impression That I Get. They recently reunited after a four year hiatus and released a compilation album this past December.

No comments: