Saturday, March 22, 2008

Old school

I was looking through this little blog and noticed, for the most part, I've been writing about the new music I listen to and am a fan of, except those two posts which mentioned the Clash. Anyway, this time around, I will share my "gateway" bands with you. These are the bands that led me to punk and the various sub-genres associated with it.

In high school I dated a kid who was way more into music than me. Thanks to him I was introduced to the Descendents. Known for their short, fast, tongue-in-cheek approach, this band introduced nerdy coolness to the masses. Seriously, how much nerdy can you get than a lead singer named Milo who is now a biochemist?

The aforementioned former boyfriend was also a fan of Operation Ivy. In the short span they were a band, Op Ivy had a huge influence that can still be seen in today's music (think Green Day).

In listening to Op Ivy, I got into Rancid, the band Tim Armstrong and Matt Freeman formed after the dissolution of Op Ivy. I'm sure most people have at least heard of Rancid because of their association with Good Charlotte a few years back or because of Tim's other band, the Transplants, with Travis Barker (Blink 182 and +44).

Below, are a couple videos I found on the interweb. Enjoy kids!


The Descendents I'm the One


Operation Ivy Take Warning (live 1988)


Rancid Ruby Soho

No comments: